Written By: Joseph Bridges, Pre-Sales Engineer
One of the many things I have learned over the course of my 20 years plus career is that the only constant in this world is change. Think about how much technology has change since you were a kid. TVs, Cell Phones, and computers to name a few have changed by leaps and bounds over the last 30 years. I have found that companies are having a hard time keeping pace with all the changes in the technologies they use to support their business. Below are just a few challenges companies face when trying to keep up with the ever-changing technology.
1. Talent shortage in IT – regardless of what the current unemployment rates are with the pandemic it is still very hard to find qualified IT personnel. When you are lucky enough to find that qualified person it is getting more expensive to attain them and then there is the challenge of retaining them. This can be even more challenging for some of the smaller organizations that may have tighter budget constraints.
2. Lack of training – this is another challenge companies face with their current staff. IT has always been asked to do more with less and the staff is simply just too busy in many cases to take the time needed to retrain. Now, if the employee takes it upon themselves to train on their own time that may be a different story but what does that do for one’s quality of life? In most cases that is just not practical, and it is setting the stage for their departure as I mentioned previously about retaining the talent.
3. Time – because IT organizations are spending so much time keeping the lights on and dealing with the day-to-day tasks within the environment, they do not have the time to focus on the project work needed to deploy the new technologies that will enhance and benefit the business. Not deploying these new technologies in a timely fashion can impact the business’s ability to be competitive.
Challenges like these drive companies to seek help from Managed Service Providers (MSPs) outside their organizations. Not to replace their staff, but to augment them at a much lower monthly price point. This frees them up to focus on the more strategic work needed to further enhance the business. Not all MSPs are created equal, some focus on a limited set of services, others tend to be very rigid in how they deliver their services, while some prevent you from accessing the equipment that you may own but they are managing.
Contour Data Solutions (Contour DS) differentiates themselves by addressing many of the shortcoming outlined above. Below are just a few of the ways Contour DS stands above the rest.
1. As an MSP, Contour DS offers several complimenting services all geared to make our customers lives easier and provides them with a high quality of life knowing that we have it handled. Some of these services include but are not limited to.
2. At Contour DS we consider ourselves to be a “boutique” MSP because we are very nimble in delivering custom services to meet our customer’s needs. While following best practices in everything we do, Contour DS adds a very personal touch to the services we provide addressing all our customer’s needs.
3. Contour DS is here to partner with our customers acting as an extension of their IT staff. As partners we do not lock our customers out of the systems, we are managing for them. This empowers them to make changes on their own as they see fit while making them feel safe knowing that we are here to help as needed if things go wrong.
In conclusion, businesses have a tough time keeping up with the ever-changing technology landscape. The have always been asked to do more with less, it is tough finding qualified IT professionals and keeping them trained while retaining them, and on time completion of strategic projects often suffer due to the lack of available time and resources. Working with a MSP that can provide a host of IT tasks as “a service”, who is nimble and who will go the extra mile to ensure the customer is happy, while being a true partner and not prevent them from managing their own infrastructure as needed is key to being successful.